Sunday, February 20, 2011

Propaganda!

I found this website while looking for some good propaganda. I think that the bottom right picture offends me most. It is a horrible depiction of Japanese people. It is propaganda, but it just goes to show that one of the things they try to use to make you dislike the enemy is to emphasize the differences in race, in skin color. I also found this, which people thought was Chinese propaganda for the Cultural Revolution. It's similar, but only in the picture that's on the cover. The title of the book doesn't relate to the Cultural Revolution at all. Also, I thought this was pretty funny/ironic as well as this.

Anyways, I guess I'm back to the Cultural Revolution. Off topic, but today I went to a Buddhist temple in Bridgeport (I'm gladly agnostic/atheist thankyouverymuch) where they conducted the entire service full of Chinese old ladies in Mandarin and Cantonese. I feel extra-connected to my culture today. (Don't you like this picture? It has great colors!) But don't yell at me about how it isn't relevant to 2011 today. Because in some ways, it can be.

Nowadays, everybody is living in urban areas, especially in China. The majority of China is sparsely populated with mountains and deserts. China has 26 urban areas with more than 2 million inhabitants, and 52 with more than 1 million. However, two-thirds of the people live in rural areas and work as farmers. In Japan, because of development and the changing ideals of society, women are finding more options besides staying home and birthing babies. Women can choose to not get married, maintain a professional work life. In some rural areas in Japan (more than three-fourths of all Japanese live in urban areas and work at industrial or service jobs) there can be one or two kids in one entire school. There are more elderly than there are young people, and soon enough, in more developed countries like Japan, there won't be enough young people in the work force to support the country. Japan is very strict with immigration and allowing immigrants to become naturalized. By supporting agriculture and counterurbanization like this propaganda poster advertises, there will be more awareness of the situation in rural areas.

...

(taken from An Introduction to Human Geography by James M. Rubenstein)

Hi. This is syd speaking. I have taken over Jy's blogpost for the time being. Mwahahahahahaha.

Did you know that in seventh grade, she was a boy for one lunch period? :P

-JY
(by the way, what Syd said is not true...)

No comments:

Post a Comment