Thursday, September 23, 2010

26-Handed God

So..."Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God"... Before I say anything, let's start with this: I believe in no god. (I wouldn't say atheist or agnostic, because there are always those cuckoos out there who have some weird radical definition for the said terms, and then they'll come and get me with their stolen snipers. No thanks.) In fact, sometimes I like saying "oh gods" because Greek/Roman mythology is really cool, and because I can!

If I were to listen to Jonathan Edwards preach to me everyday about how God is such a sadist, I would be scared. I would be afraid, such that I'd have no thought of rebelling. I would probably hate God in my mind, and hate Jonathan Edwards, and I would most likely disagree with him. If at most I ended up believing in God, I would think that God is pure and loving, and I wouldn't be so conceited as to think that I'm pre-destined to go to heaven.

Personally, I don't know how I would've survived back then living a life like that. Being so restricted, wanting to escape, yet not being able to (because you would've died from the wilderness). I hate being told what to do, hate not being able to say what I want to say, hate not being allowed to be ethical and smart. In other words, back then, in that kind of society, I would've floated like a cork in water.

I just find it a bit ironic that the Puritans were the ones who immigrated to America to escape religious prosecution, yet they were the ones who ended up prosecuting/killing people who weren't as insane as them.

I think that a lot of Puritans weren't Puritans, that they were just putting up a facade in order to avoid being killed. But with me the way I am today, with freedom of speech, religion, and all that jazz, I would rather commit suicide or something than live in that kind of society. I think I'd feel better dead than to have to put up with the Puritans and their religion. And maybe, just maybe, based on their belief, I might just go straight to heaven.

How depressing.

-JY

1 comment:

  1. The pot always ends up calling the kettle black.
    Doesn't committing suicide seem to be a drasatic measure? Does it really come down to your own death? That seems like a serious case of avoidance rather than standing up for your rights. Maybe it's avoiding death by creating it but still...

    'Tis a depressing thought.

    ReplyDelete