Thursday, October 21, 2010

I'm American?

The definition of "American" depends on the person you're talking to. Frankly, I'm not quite sure myself (hence the uncertainty in my title). But I guess when I evaluate myself, I have to decide that I'm not American.

Boohoo. Whatever. For legal reasons, I'm not an American. We're currently in the (ridiculously) looong process of getting a Green Card (which means I can't travel abroad or anything like that, or go overseas for vacation). I can't even mention anything about my currently non-existant American citizenship.

Although I have adopted some American habits like the 5-second rule, or the fact that I now am not afraid to sit on the ground, or to plop down on the very dirty floor in Gym B. I don't think sweets and snacks were as sickeningly sweet as I used to find them (though they are still too sweet, and I still hate angel food cake).

Including my dislike for angel food cake, I also do not like eating pears/apples with their skins, and I still think potato chips are toooo salty.

But besides food likes/dislikes, there are other weird habits I've come grown used to, and ones I have not. I still have Asian parents with Asian "connections"--meaning they yell at me about the littlest faults on Edline, they decide they want me to do SAT/ACT practice problems everyday, and they go psycho over the fact that I still try to maintain a social life (even though I'm already biting off more than I can chew). I guess it's racist/stereotypical for me to say this, because these are not necessarily Asian-parent qualities. But I feel like our customs and values are so different. I may have picked up some American ideals/habits, but does it necessarily mean I'm American?

I guess those with kind of a vague, open, and welcoming definition of "American" would probably say I am, but sadly I don't quite see myself living up to that kind of image.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jiayin! I forgot you took American Lit... lol.
    This entry really gave me an interesting insight to what it's like to be Chinese American, something I will never experience. How do you think common stereotypes about your race play into how YOU think about your race? Are you affected by them, or do you find yourself ignoring them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you consider yourself more American or Chinese? Do you think that most Chinese-Americans give up on one culture? Would you if you could? Which would you choose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am American, therefore: It's my dream.
    On the comment on comparing myself: I think I'm like a colonist, because I don't know yet. I'm in a new environment (high-school) and I shun parts of my past (such as the family religion, beliefs, whatnot). I'm new, in a sense. I'm just getting started. And I'm determined to make a name for myself.

    ReplyDelete